As we move towards the winter solstice this year of 2016, we offer this prayer by Edward Hays from his book Prayers for a Planetary Pilgrim as a gift to remind you that when you feel the cold, dark night (internally or externally), remember that light is always there. May the beautiful community spirit of 4yoga be a light in the darkness as you practice in space surrounded by beauty in an art gallery or find sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of the season in the sacred interior space of your body.
A Winter Solstice Prayer
The dark shadow of space leans over us…
We are mindful that the darkness of greed, exploitation, and hatred
also lengthens its shadow over our small planet Earth.
As our ancestors feared death and evil and all the dark powers of winter,
we fear that the darkness of war, discrimination, and selfishness
may doom us and our planet to an eternal winter.
May we find hope in the lights we have kindled on this sacred night,
hope in one another and in all who form the web-work of peace and justice that spans the world.
In the heart of every person on this Earth
burns the spark of luminous goodness;
in no heart is there total darkness.
May we who have celebrated this winter solstice,
by our lives and service, by our prayers and love,
call forth from one another the light and the love
that is hidden in every heart.
- Holiday project: gifts for children from the Boys & Girls Club. To help two children in our community celebrate Christmas, 4yoga is participating in the Boys & Girls Club’s Christmas Adoption Program. The children’s information (e.g., sizes, Christmas gift wishes, favorite colors) will be available at the studio, and we welcome any gifts or cash donations for Christopher and Morgan. (The club staff will shop for additional items for the children with any donated cash.) We will be collecting until Tues., Dec. 6. Many thanks to Cassandra for coordinating this project.
- Second monthly class at The Downing Museum. Thank you to all of you who joined us in November to inaugurate this new partnership in an especially beautiful space! The second Yoga@the Museum class meets on Sat., Dec. 10, at 11 a.m. in the main gallery at The Downing Museum, If you would like to join Leslie for this Basics-level practice, go to https://tinyurl.com/yoga-themuseum to complete the brief registration form.
- Monthly talk and meditation session. Alice will host this session on Fri., Dec. 16, at 6:45 p.m. As always, there is no charge for this informal gathering, which provides an opportunity to ask questions about and discuss meditation and to experience a short meditation.
- Restorative class on Sun., Dec. 18, at 5:45 p.m. For a special opportunity to relax deeply this month, join Angie for a Restorative class on Sun., Dec. 18.
- Studio closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We will not offer classes on Sat., Dec. 24, and Sun., Dec. 25, but we hope to see you before or after this brief break.
- New Year’s Eve class. Celebrate New Year’s Eve by joining Angie for a 9 a.m. Mixed-level practice on Sat., Dec. 31.
- New Year’s Day class and potluck brunch. To start your 2017 off on your mat, join Angie for a 10 a.m. Mixed-level practice on Sun., Jan. 1. Whether you attend this class or not, we welcome you to join us at 11:30 a.m. for our traditional potluck brunch to ring in the new year together.
For a full list of December classes, please see calendar page or pick up a hard copy at The Pots Place. We also post updates each morning on our Facebook page, should you find it convenient to keep up with us there.
Accessing studio after class has begun: Remember that even if you are running late when the shop downstairs is closed, you can still join us for class. If the front door is locked, come to the back door of The Pots Place (look for the blue building) and ring the buzzer. The teacher will then unlock the door remotely for you to enter through the pottery studio.