What a timely month to study and contemplate the yoga concept satya (truthfulness). As we grapple with the recent coining of the term “alternative facts,” we can turn to the ancient vedic texts, which predate all religions, for some perspective. Sat, the root of satya, is that which does not change, the true nature or the essence. It is the stillness in the center of the spinning wheel, the calmness inside the storm.
When we identify with any facts, it is often to substantiate our ego: “I am right and you are wrong.” However, the highest knowledge comes from intuition, which is beyond the reasoning of the intellect. To find the truth requires disengaging with the raging storm and going deep into your center to find the still place where the small still voice may be heard.
This month of February as we are moving into the light with longer days becoming evident and the dark yin energy beginning to stir, let a vigorous asana practice followed by the stillness of savasana be your path to finding the truth. There you will find peace beyond facts.
- Six chances to practice with Debbie Marquette. We are thrilled to have Debbie teaching six classes (four Basics and two Flow) in the first half of the month. We know both longtime Debbie students and folks taking her classes for the first time will enjoy these chances to practice with her!
- Restorative class on Sun., Feb 19, at 5:45 p.m. For a special opportunity to relax deeply, join Angie for the monthly Sunday-night Restorative class. You can even create your own mini-retreat by taking Nicole’s 4 p.m. Basics class that day and then staying for Restorative.
- Satya focus for Living Our Yoga. This month’s Living Our Yoga class, on Fri., Feb. 24, focuses on the second yama, satya (truthfulness). In this class, Alice and Angie combine the traditional yin asanas with thematic readings and teachings to enhance students’ experience and to create conditions that may take them deeper into the mind, body, and spirit aspects of their practice.
- Curvy Yoga on hiatus. Thank you for the positive feedback on January’s Curvy Yoga classes with Cassandra! Although we have placed the class on hiatus for February while we find a better place for it on the schedule, we hope to return it in March.
- Beginner series on Saturdays at 11 a.m. We are pleased to announce that our second, four-week Beginner series of the year will take place in February with Leslie teaching. Although this class is already full, please let us know if you would be interested in a future one, and we will be in touch when we schedule the next series.
- Two monthly classes at The Downing Museum. In February we return to The Downing Museum for our ongoing second-Saturday yoga class and add a fourth-Saturday meditation class! This monthly meditation class replaces our previous Friday-night meditation gathering at the studio. We are grateful for the demand for these classes and for the opportunity to practice in such a beautiful space every month. Watch your inbox and our Facebook page for announcements of registration for the March classes.
- Invitation to participate in theater workshop with Emily. On Wed., Feb. 8, at 4 p.m. Emily will host a free theater workshop at the studio and would love members of our community to participate. Check our website for details on what to expect and how to RSVP to Emily.
For a full list of February classes, please see the attached schedule, the calendar section of our website, or a hard copy available at The Pots Place. We also post updates each morning on our Facebook page, along with content from our blog, should you find it convenient to keep up with us there.
Inclement weather policy: during inclement weather, we decide whether or not to cancel classes independently of area school districts’ decisions. However, if we do need to cancel a class, we publicize that information at least one hour before it begins, and we announce all class cancellations in these three ways:
Accessing studio after class has begun: Remember that even if the front door is locked when you arrive, you can still join us for class. Just come to the back door of The Pots Place (look for the blue building) and ring the buzzer. The teacher will then unlock the door remotely for you to enter through the pottery studio.