Update (3/23/20): To see our remote class schedule for the rest of the month, please check out our recent post listing those classes and the platforms on which teachers are sharing them. And, for the most up-to-date info, follow our Facebook page.
As we bid farewell to February, we are delighted to bring you the March schedule and pose of the month. We appreciate Carmen for selecting the pose and providing the following information about it, and we look forward to practicing it with you throughout the new month!
Pose of the Month
Supta Padangusthasana (Reclining Hand-to-Big-Toe)
Supta = lying down, reclining
Pada = foot
Angusta = big toe
Asana = pose
This pose is done while lying on your back and can be performed with a strap. It provides several benefits, including a stretch for hamstrings, calves, groin, inner thighs, hips, and lower spine and increased circulation to the pelvis. It can also help with conditions such as inflexibility, fatigue, muscle weakness, spasticity, and sciatica.
Supta Padangusthasana is also an excellent opportunity to practice mindfulness; this practice of connecting mind-to-body using yoga is the greatest gift I have. Beyond the daily physical stress our bodies endure, our bodies also respond on a subtle level to psychological and emotional stressors. I love that we can use our yoga to move beyond fears and let go of what no longer serves our growth. The “stressor-energy” we create simply as a response to our basic need for survival manifests in our physical bodies, as in the case with trauma, and may be felt in the neck, buttocks, hamstrings, calves, feet—all areas this pose allows us to extend.
I love to weave an affirmation, prayer, and/or mantra into the stillness and pauses of my practice for a meaningful, therapeutic response.
Special classes: In addition to continuing to offer our full schedule (66 regular yoga classes!), we are happy to highlight these additional opportunities to practice together in March!
- Beginner Classes. Angie and Leslie will offer two Saturday Beginner drop-in classes this month: on March 7 (Angie) and March 21 (Leslie), both at 11 a.m. If you are interested in beginning or re-starting a yoga practice, please join them.
- Monday Meditation. Beshka’s 8 a.m. Monday Meditation class continues into March: join her for meditation only or come for meditation and stay for her 9:30 a.m. Basics yoga class.
- Wednesday Meditation. Leslie’s Wednesday 9:30 a.m. Basics yoga class will continue to be preceded by an optional meditation period in March. She invites students to arrive anytime between 8:45 and 9:15 a.m., put down their mats, and spend a few minutes in quiet reflection before beginning their physical practice.
- Wednesday Mat Pilates. Susan’s Mat Pilates class continues into March with a slight adjustment in the start time to allow for a more relaxed transition period between yoga and Pilates that evening. In March, the class will begin at 7:10 p.m. As with our yoga classes, the class fee is $5 and all are welcome to drop in.
- Monthly Meditation@the Studio. Alice welcomes both new and experienced meditators to the monthly Meditation@the Studio class at 11 a.m. on Sat., March 28.
For a full schedule, please see the calendar page—or pick up a hard copy at The Pots Place. If you use Facebook, we invite you to keep up with our page there: we post an image version of the schedule each month, share a brief update of the day’s classes each morning, and create events for special classes or events.